Sunday, June 6, 2010
Goins Billy Wk1 Project: LMO Overview
The Process of Change
The methods for teaching or delivering training are ever changing and refining. My own learning, as with most individuals began with family, then progressed into a formal classroom setting along with an everyday practical approach as I worked and learned from those experiences. This combination of classroom and on the job training (OJT) continued while in the military, with the additional offering Career Development Courses (CDCs) which were essentially correspondence courses designed to increase my job knowledge and skill level.
In my latter years in the military and as I transitioned into the civilian work force, I received training through the use of computer based training (CBT) modules which most often related to annual requirements regarding safety issues and military or corporate policies.
On the military side, the CBT’s eventually evolved into a web-based system that I now understand to be a Learning Content Management System (LCMS). Often within this system, I would encounter items or steps that would be used repeatedly. These reusable learning objects (RLOs) would contain practices or check list items that applied to multiple jobs such as safely powering down equipment.
On the manufacturing side, I progressed through the company and was enrolled into an apprenticeship program where I began using what I now know to be Learning Management System (LMS) to learn specific tasks. Upon completing the course, I was promoted to a journeyman level operator and received a state certification in the area of industrial heating ventilation and air conditioning.
While working various shifts during the manufacturing job, I began taking college classes. Though I preferred evening campus courses, there were times when scheduling required me to take a satellite course, delivered through an early and unstable version of teleconferencing and as I’m doing now at Full Sail University take courses online utilizing a course management system (CMS).
My online experience with the Education Media Design and Technology program at Full Sail has introduced me to an emerging form of online learning and a new model emphasizing connectivity and social learning. The emergence of social networking (SN) tools including the personal learning environments (PLEs) are considered a form of disruptive technologies that may assimilate current methods of delivering training and education.
This reinforces my original claim, based on my own learning experiences, that the methods for teaching or delivering training are ever changing and refining. Going through the reading this week was for me a time of reflection and allowed me to see not only the progression of my own education but also the organization and evolution of the learning systems encapsulated in a variety of domain structures such as colleges, businesses, and the military. So for this particular activity, I drew from my own experiences, which hopefully explains the lack of outside citations.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Interesting analysis, based on solid first-hand experience.
ReplyDelete